The beloved Dhak Dhak girl of India aka Madhuri Dixit was born on May 15 in the year 1967 in the city of Bombay in Maharashtra. And is an Indian actress, also often referred to as the Queen of bollywood and queen of hearts. In her long lengthed career spanning for more than three decades, she has apparently been casted in over seventy bollywood movies.
Madhuri went on to marry Dr. Shriram Madhav Nene, a Los Angeles based doctor, on October 17 of the year 1999 and thereby took a sabbatical from working in movies. She settled with her husband in the United States of America where she also raised her two sons Arin and Raayan.
Table of Contents
Some feathers she has been able to collect in her hat include:
- She has been awarded with the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her spectacular contribution to the Indian film industry. The Padma Shri serves to be the fourth highest civilian honour of the Indian subcontinent.
- She has been the recipient of the filmfare awards a whopping six times for different roles played by her in the bollywood movies.
- She has proven to be one of the most successful actresses in the Indian film industry and was one of the highest paid actresses in the 1990s and in the early 2000s as well. It was rumoured so that she had received a jaw dropping amount of INR 2.7 crores for her role in Hum Aapke Hai Kaun which was more than what her male counterpart Salman Khan had received.
- She has also been listed on the Forbes India’s Celebrity list for a total of seven times.
- She has also won four screen awards for her performances and been nominated seven times for the same.
- Along these she has also been at the receiving end of many such awards including National citizen award, Platinum diva award, Smita Patil memorial award, star foundation network award, Kalabhinetri award, Giants International award and Zee Cine awards amongst many others.
Some interesting facts about the Dhak Dhak girl:
- Madhuri owns a degree in the subject microbiology and initially had no interest in pursuing an acting career. Even though her debut movie was Abodh which released in 1984, but she only rose to fame and limelight with the movie Tezaab which released four years later in 1988.
- Madhuri Dixit serves to be the only female actor in bollywood who has been nominated for the Filmfare awards. She has won the same six times out of which her win was for the Best actress category four times and two wins In other categories.
- Madhuri is a trained professional Kathak dancer and is the only female actor of her times in bollywood to have had the chance of being choreographed by the famous expert Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj. She believes that he is her guru and he went on record to state that Madhuri is the best dancer in the Indian film industy.
- A costume conceptualized and designed by the very famous Indian designer Neeta Lulla, Madhuri once had to carry an outfit for the movie Devdas which weighed a massive 30 kilos.
Madhuri dixit and her popularity
- The late MF Husain who was acclaimed artist was reportedly besotted by her beauty and charm and claimed that he had watched her movie Hum Aapke Hain Kaun which released in the year 1994, sixty seven times! Madhuri later became his muse and inspired a string of paintings and even a movie with Shah Rukh Khan which went by the name Gaja Gamini that released in the year 2000.
- She has ardent fans throughout the nation. One of her fans from the city of Jamshedpur had once made an appeal to the government to declare her birth date as a National holiday. He had also created a calendar with her birthday marking the beginning of a new year.
- In the year 2014, she was appointed to be the Goodwill Ambassador Advocate for Child and Equal Woman’s rights. She has been actively involved in many such humanitarian measures and animal welfare causes in the past to add to her social contributions.
- In the constellation named Orion, there is a star which is named after her which was made possible by the efforts of a group of her ardent fans. She owns a certificate from the star foundation reading the same.
- In India, she also has a lake named “Madhuri lake” after her which is located on the way from the city of Tawang to Bum La Pass in the district of Arunachal Pradesh. The lake is originally named the Sungestar Tso Lake but gained the name of the actress after a song from her movie Koyla was shot at the location.
- Even though Madhuri had back-to-back nine flops between 1984 to 1988, she continued to work for her dreams.