The famous American Internet entrepreneur and philanthropist, Mark Elliot Zuckerberg was born on May 14 in the year 1984 at White Plains in New York, United States of America. He is most famously known for co-founding the social media giant ‘Facebook Inc.’. And is presently serving to be the chief executive officer, chairman and a major controlling shareholder of the same. The solar sail spacecraft development project “Breakthrough Starshot” was also co-founded by him and of which he serves to be a board member as well.
Zuckerberg received his education from the Harvard University and only a few know that he launched the social networking service of Facebook from his dormitory room. Along with his college roommates on February 4 in the year 2004. The social website was initially and originally launched only to cover selected college campuses but later expanded rapidly. Creating its consumer base beyond university levels, which reached about a massive one billion users within eight years of its establishment i.e. by 2012.
Mark Zuckerberg finally took the company as public in May of 2012 with him keeping with himself the majority of the shares.
Table of Contents
Some feathers collected by him in his hat include:
- His net worth is estimated to be about a whopping $54 billion as updated of March 2020.
- At the mere age of twenty-three, Zuckerberg became the world’s youngest self-made billionaire in the year 2007.
- As updated of the year 2019, the Internet entrepreneur is the only individual under the age of fifty years to be listed in the Forbes ten richest people. And the only person under the age of forty years to be listed in the top twenty billionaires list.
- In December of the year 2016, Zuckerberg was ranked on the tenth position on Forbes list of the World’s most powerful people.
- Since the year 2010, The Time Magazine has named Mark Zuckerberg amongst the hundred wealthiest and most influential people.
Some lesser-known facts about the social media entrepreneur include:
- Zuckerberg had nearly worked for the Seattle tech. giant Microsoft co. but fate had different plans for him.
- As a teenager only, he had a zest for invention. At the mere age of twelve, Zuckerberg had created an instant messaging program which he called ‘ZuckNet’. The program enabled the dentist father of Zuckerberg to be alerted of the patients who arrived at his clinic.
- Mark Zuckerberg possesses an unexpected taste for pop culture with one of his favorite books being “The Aeneid”. And one of his favorite television shows being “The West Wing”.
- Zuckerberg suffers from partial colour blindness. Yes! He has red-green colour blindness. This also explains the blue colour of Facebook’s logo.
- Mark is also multilingual and can speak ancient languages such as Latin. And is also well-versed in Mandarin along with his usual English language.
- Many giants put their hats in the ring in order to buy Facebook which Zuckerberg has always turned down. These companies include Microsoft, Yahoo, NBC, Viacom, MySpace, NewsCorp and Google.
About personal life :
- His meeting with his present wife Dr. Priscilla Chan was a little unexpected and inauspicious. They met for the first time while waiting in a queue for using the washroom at a fraternity party at Harvard University. They began to date in the year 2003 and married on May 19 in the year 2012 in Zuckerberg’s own backyard. The event also celebrated Priscilla’s graduation from the medical school she attended. The couple currently are proud parents to two daughters.
- Mark Zuckerberg has always been an ardent admirer of the former late Apple chief executive officer and co-founder Steve Jobs. He has apparently been inspired by the bold style of leadership followed by Jobs and incorporated them into his course. Apart from him, Zuckerberg also looks up to Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein. Pablo’s insight that “All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up”. And Einstein’s quote “Make things as simple as possible but no simpler” marked as his favourites on Facebook.
- Zuckerberg is also a fitness buff and had set a target of running for three hundred and sixty five miles during the course of the year in 2016. He was able to achieve his goal midway through the summer itself.
- Mark Zuckerberg owns a Hungarian sheepdog as a pet who is a celebrity in himself. The dog is named “Beast” and has a facebook fan page of his own with more than two million likes to it.
- Facebook users do not have the option of blocking Mark Zuckerberg or Priscilla Chan on the social media platform. An error message appears on the device screens of anyone who attempts to do so quoting “This profile can’t be blocked for now”.