Nintendo has announced that they will release Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light for Nintendo Switch via the E-shop on December 4th 2020. The price will be $5.99 as the company announced and it will only be available to purchase until the end of Fire Emblem’s 30th anniversary on March 31st 2021. Because the original game Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light first launched for the Famicom on April 1990 in Japan exclusively, a release was never brought to the west. Until, however, today.
Additionally, the Switch version marks the first release ever to appear in the West and for English speakers. Nintendo will also release a 30th anniversary version of the game at select retailers for $50. Because of the price uptick, this special version includes many new additions. It includes a deluxe art book, a replica game box, and an instruction booklet. It also includes a map replica, a game pack art piece with the game sleeve and a mini Nintendo power collectible. This all comes in a collector’s box. However, both games will only be available for a limited time.
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light
“The Fire Emblem series has grown into a saga enjoyed by fans for its strategic gameplay and memorable characters,” Nintendo of America senior vice president of sales and marketing Nick Chavez said recently in a press release “With Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light, Nintendo Switch owners can now experience the game that started it all with enhanced features that make this timeless adventure available to everyone.”
Below is a game overview, from Nintendo’s website:
“Play the Famicom Classic that Started the Fire Emblem Legacy—Localized for the First Time”
“Meet Marth and recruit some of the most beloved Fire Emblem characters in their 8-bit glory as you play through all 25 chapters of this classic Famicom tactical role-playing game, localized and released for the first time in North America—for a limited time.”
“Follow Marth on an Epic Journey”
“From defending the kingdom of Talys to facing off against the titular Shadow Dragon, this scrappy hero must be poised to take on any challenge. Luckily, he has a capable group of allies at his side: Tiki, Minerva, the Whitewing Sisters, and more!”
See the features of this reborn Fire Emblem Classic:
- See Marth’s humble beginnings from a refugee in Talys to the hero of Archanea!
- Classic Gameplay with a Modern Touch
- Choose from over 50 playable characters and discover the roots of the strategic gameplay that defines the Fire Emblem series.
- Pick the units and classes suited to the mission at hand and approach characters on the battlefield to forge relationships and even add to your army.
- Make a mistake or lose a favorite unit? New features like save states and rewind let you tailor the challenge to your playstyle!
- Classic Characters
- Choose from over 50 characters and over 20 classes as you find the right strategy for each chapter. Here are just a few of the allies you’ll meet and the foes you’ll face in the game.”
Witness where it all began…
Below is the announcement trailer.