A major figure in popular culture for more than a massive fifty years, Bob Dylan is a extremely famous American singer, songwriter, author and a visual artist. His actual name was Robert Allen Zimmerman which he was born to, on May 24 in the year 1941 in Duluth, Minnesota. He started to go off by the name of Dylan while completing his graduation at the University of Minnesota. So , here is some sneak peak on Bob Dylan Birthday!
Here are some of the feathers Dylan has managed to collect in his hat throughout his long ranging career:
- Dylan was recipient to the Nobel Prize in Literature in the year 2016.
- He has won a total of ten Grammy Awards, one Golden Globe Award and one Academy Award.
- In the year 2000, he was awarded with the Polar Music Prize by Sweden’s King Carl XVI!
- Dylan has tasted fame rich and has been inducted into several halls of fames including the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Nashville Songwriters hall of fame.
- In recognition of the artistic and philanthropic contributions made by the singer to the society, he was awarded with the MusiCares Person of the year title from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in February of the year 2015.
- In 2007, Dylan had also been recipient to the Prince of Asturias Award in the Arts category.
- Bob Dylan has also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in May of the year 2012.
- In 2013 in the month of November, Dylan became recipient to the accolade of Légion d’Honneur from Aurelie Filippetti, the French education minister of the time.
Here are some fascinating facts about the great American folk artist:
- Other than his name Bob Dylon, he has also gone by other names including “Robert Allyn” and “Elston Gunn”. In fact, he also experimented with the spelling of Dylon and had tried alternative ones like Dillon.
- Although he is most famous for his folk music, in high school, he was more inclined into rock and roll and was all about rockstars like Little Richards and Elvis. He was a member of his school band named Golden Chords and used to play the rock and roll songs of these rockstars. However, he later came to realize that folks contain more substance and gradually made a shift towards it.
- There are conspiracy theorists that are of the opinion that Bob Dylan had sold his soul to the devil! Speculations began when he was questioned as to why he was still involved into playing shows even though he had been subject to massive accomplishments and fame, in an interview. He responded wittily and mentioned it to be a plan of destiny and stated himself to have had made a bargain with the “chief commander of the earth, one we could not see”. The deal made has been considered to be an agreement with the devil rather than God by the conspiracy theorists who draw their opinions from Christianity wherein Satan used to direct God’s choir in heaven before being shunned as a devil to earth.
- He has used his songs as a form of protest to stand up against the wrong time and again. It is Dylan’s one of the biggest calling cards. One such event was when the singer performed at the March on Washington and had written songs about black figures that were prominent. These included figures like Rubin “Hurricane” Carter and Medgar Evars.
- Dylan has a reputation of always sticking up to his principles. He had once walked out of a famous show wherein he was approved of playing a politically charged song previously but was later asked to be playing a friendlier song.
- In the year 1966, Dylan had experienced a motorcycle crash while he was at the helm of the motorcycle. Post the incidence, Bob remained to be out of public sight for years to follow.
- Dylan also found a fanbase in the very famous band of the time “The Beatles” and seemed to have a good click with George Harrison. The two had also collaborated for the songs “If Not for You” and “I’d Have You Anytime” which appeared on Harrison’s solo album All Things Must Pass.
- Dylan’s presence has not remained limited to the microphones and he has also tried his luck in the field of acting. He has acted in movies like Hearts of Fire, Masked & Anonymous and Renaldo and Clara. The latter was directed by him.
- Bob Dylan had made a religious conversion to Christianity in the late 1970s and has also made Christian music. His albums Saved and Slow Train Coming were certainly gospel-infused.
- Although Dylan had kicked a habit of booze in the early 1990s and had also thrown his dependency over heroin drugs, he quit and has been sober since the year 1994.
Wishing Bob Dylan a very happy birthday!
For more upcoming celebrity birthday’s visit Aware earth – Birthday today