Nitin Gadkari Birthday – The present day Minister for Road Transport & Highways of India and Shipping Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Nitin Jairam Gadkari, was born on May 27 in the year 1957 in the city of Nagpur into a Marathi family to Jairam Gadkari and Bhanutai Gadkari. He will be celebrating his 63rd birthday this year.
Nitin Gadkari pursued a masters degree in commerce and L.L.B. from the Nagpur University itself and is a lawyer and industrialist by occupation, other than serving as a politician. During his adolescent days, he worked tirelessly for the Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha, the youth wing of Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as for the right wing student union Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
Some notable Work of the Politician amongst the many includes:
- Nitin Gadkari has also earlier served as the President of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for Maharashtra. During his tenure, he provided considerable emphasis over privatization of firms and channeled large amounts of budgeted projects towards privatization. He also set up a number of private companies and industries during his career in politics including the Antyodaya Trust, Poly Sack Industrial Society Ltd. and Empress Employees Co-operative Paper Mills Ltd.
- He has also previously served as the Public Works Department Minister for the state of Maharashtra where he tends to be notable for various tasks performed under his leadership which had the face of Public works in the state restructured. These included construction of a series of highways, flyovers and roads with the major one being the Mumbai-Pune Expressway which is the country’s first six lane concrete high speed expressway.
- He was also appointed to be the Chairman of National Rural Road Development Committee by the Union Government wherein he had had the opportunity to present his ideas to Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the then Prime Minister of the country and submit his report to the Central Government post completing his series of study and meetings. His report was accepted on the basis of which an Rs 600 Billion worth ambitious rural road connecting scheme Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana was launched.
Here are some lesser known facts about him:
- Nitin Gadkari is married to Kanchan Gadkari and the couple together are parents to three children – two sons Nikhil and Sarang and a daughter named Ketki. Both his sons are married but have shown no inclination towards following the footsteps of their father into politics.
- The entire Gadkari family follows a vegetarian diet including the politician himself! The politician ensures that he maintains healthy dietary habits post undergoing bariatric surgery some 8-9 years back while he was battling with uncontrollable weight gain. Prior to this, Gadkari was particularly a fan of consuming fried malpooas and misal pav, a famous dish of Maharashtra.
- While travelling overseas for fulfilling his work commitments, he looks out for new Indian food places to try out.
- He is known to be a very candid person and call spade a spade. This has also often landed him into unwanted controversies but he is appraised for his honesty.
- For his excellent contributions in the field of constructions of roads, flyovers and highways in the state of Maharashtra during his tenure as the Public Works Department Minister, Balasaheb Thackeray referred him to as Roadkari (builder of roads) instead of Gadkari.
- In the present government, speaker Sumitra Mahajan and some others refer to him as Portkari (builder of ports) instead of Gadkari.
- Nitin Gadkari first considers himself to be a businessman and politician forms second.
- Nitin Gadkari was actually the force responsible behind bringing in Devendra Fadnavis into the political field after he managed to convince Gangadhar Fadnavis that it would be the correct thing to pursue. Devendra Fadnavis eventually went on to become the youngest Mayor of Nagpur which he assumed at the age of twenty seven.
- As Minister for Road Transport & Highways of India, Gadkari increased the pace of creation of roads from about 2 kilometres per day to 16.5 kilometres per day in his first year of service i.e. 2014. This pace then increased to 21 kilometres per day in the year 2015 and was noted to be 30 kilometres per day at the end of the year 2018.
Here’s wishing one of the most hardworking politicians of India Nitin Gadkari a very happy birthday!
For more upcoming Celebrity Birthday article keep visiting Aware earth – Birthday Today.