Ravi Shastri Birthday – Ravishankar Shastri, famously known as Ravi Shastri, currently serves as the head coach to the Indian national cricket team. And is a former cricketer and commentator. He was born on May 27 in the year 1962 at Bombay in Maharashtra. He celebrates his 59th birthday this year.
Here are some interesting facts about the versatile cricketing personality:
- Shastri is of Mangalorean descent. He was only fourteen years old when he began taking the sport of cricket very seriously. This was while he was still enrolled into Don Bosco School located at Matunga. As a matter of fact, Shastri also played cricket for his school team and had managed to reach the finals of inter-school Giles Shield in the year 1976. He although lost that match but stood up again the next year and captained his school team to winning the Giles Shield in 1977.
- Ravi Shastri was selected to represent the city of Mumbai at the Ranji trophy only while he was seventeen years old. This made him to be the youngest ever cricketer to be playing for Mumbai in Ranji.
- He believed to be giving his best on the ground, even during the practice sessions. His spectacular performance in one such practice session landed him to be getting included in the team at the eleventh hour for a Pakistan tour and he was made responsible for the captaincy of the Under 19 team.
- Ravi Shastri is actually not the only notable sports personality in his family. He had a cousin sister going by the name of Mridula Shastri who has served as the captain for the Indian national women team as a water polo player and a swimmer. However Mridula lost her life in the bombing of Pan Am 103 at Lockerbie in Scotland in the year 1988.
- He made his test debut for the Indian team in the year 1981 against the New Zealand in the very first test of the tour. Still pursuing his graduation during the time and had got a SOS from the Indian team who were already at Wellington. He only reached a day before the test series kicked off. Although he began off as a typical orthodox left arm spinner in his early days and battled at number 10, he managed a journey to a remarkable development as a batsman only within eighteen months of his test debut and he moved up to opening the innings. His career since then has been magnificent with him having batted at every position from first to the tenth.
- Shastri’s most memorable series was undoubtedly the 1985 ‘Champions of Champions’ series which was played in Australia. The Indian team was successful in winning all the matches played in the series quite convincingly and Shastri served to be the star performer of the series. He was titled to be the man of the series for his excellent performance in the series wherein he had made 182 runs and had taken eight wickets.
- During the famous knock out in the Ranji Trophy against Baroda in the year 1985, Shastri had recorded the second fastest double ton in First class cricket. He also became the second batsman to smash six sixes in an over in competitive cricket in those innings only.
- Shastri was the poster man for the Indian cricket team in his youth days owing to his height and good looks. He was also considered to be a star amongst the ladies for the same.
- Ravi Shastri married Ritu Singh in the year 1990 and the couple has a daughter named ‘Alekha’ who was born in the year 2008 when he was 46 years old. She is currently 12 years old.
- Ravi Shastri has also been named the national goodwill ambassador for UNICEF. Except him, the only cricketer to have had the same honour is Sachin Tendulkar.
- In the year 2008, Shastri also had the honour of serving as the celebrity torch bearer during the Olympic Torch Relay held at Oman.
- He retired only at the age of 30 years and played his last game in the December of 1992. His fans still wished to see more of him!
Wishing Ravi Shastri a very happy birthday!
For more upcoming Celebrity Birthday keep visiting Aware earth – Birthday Today.