Lalu Prasad Yadav(born 11 June 1948) is an Indian politician from the state of Bihar. He is an experienced, Dynastic and Nepotistic Politician.
He is the president of the Rashtriya Janata Dal, as well as former chief minister of Bihar.
In addition to, he was also former UPA minister of railways, and former member of Parliament of the 15th Lok Sabha. A special CBI court in Ranchi gave him 14 years imprisonment.
Table of Contents
Early and personal life:
Lalu, second of his parents’ six sons, was born in Phulwaria in Bihar to Kundan Ray and Marachhiya Devi.
Further he attended a local middle school before moving to Patna with his elder brother. After completing Bachelor of Laws and a Master in Political Science from B. N. College of Patna University, he worked as clerk in Bihar Veterinary College at Patna where his elder brother was also a peon.
Finally, he turned down Patna University’s Honorary Doctorate in 2004.
Yadav married Rabri Devi on 1 June 1973, in an arranged marriage.
Moreover, Lalu Prasad yadav have 9 children, 2 sons and 7 daughters. As,
- Tej Pratap yadav elder son.
- Tejaswi yadav younger son.
- Dr. Misa Bharti first daughter (eldest).
- Than Rohini Acharya as 2nd Daughter.
- Channdana Singh 3rd daughter.
- Furthermore Ragini Yadav 4th daughter.
- Hema Yadav 5th daughter.
- Anushka Rao 6th daughter.
- Rajlaxmi Singh 7th daughter(youngest).
Postions held in Political career:
- In 1977, he was Elected to the 6th Lok Sabha at the age of 29.
- Than, from 1980 to 1989 he was Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- Further, in 1989 he was elected as a Leader of Opposition of Bihar Legislative Assembly, Also Chairman of Pustakalaya Committee, Convenor of Committee on Public Undertakings. Finally, in same he was Re-elected to the 9th Lok Sabha(Second time) .
- He was Member of the Bihar Legislative Council from 1990 to 1995.
- Also from 1990-1997 he was Cheif Minister of Bihar.
- Further from 1995 to 1998 he was Member of the Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- In 1996, Lalu implicated in Fodder Scam.
- Than, in 1997 he Splits from Janata Dal to form Rashtriya Janata Dal.
- Furthermore, Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha(Third time) in 1998.
- From 1998-1999 lalu was Member of General Purposes Committee, Committee on Home Affairs and its Sub Committee on Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension Scheme, Consultative Committee of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Further, in 2004 Re-elected to the 14th Lok Sabha (Fourth time). Also he got Appointed as Cabinet Minister in the Ministry of Railways in UPA govt.
- In 2009 Re-elected to the 15th Lok Sabha (5th term) and disqualified in 2013 subsequent to his conviction in the first fodder scam case.
- Finally, in 2020 RJD declares Lalu as mahagathbandhan coordinator for Assembly polls.
Lalu convicted and jailed in 2 scams, he and his family, including wife Rabri Devi, sons Tejashwi Yadav and Tej Pratap Yadav, and daughter Misa Bharti have all been charged in several other corruption cases.
1996 Fodder Scam – 1st case of ₹ 33.61 crores scammed from Chaibasa treasury: a conviction in 2013
In the 1st case, Lalu found accused in 1996 and later convicted in “Fodder Scam” cases in which about ₹ 4.50 billion ($ 111.85 million) siphoned off from the animal husbandry department.
In march 1996 the case handed to CBI, In June 1997, CBI filed the charge sheet in the case and found Yadav accused. The Supreme Court in 2001 transferred the scam cases to newly formed Jharkhand and trial began in a special court in Ranchi in 2002.
On 1 October 2004, the Supreme Court of India served a notice to Yadav and his wife, Rabri Devi, on the fodder scam. This responsed to a petition which alleged that they have been interfering with the investigation.
Lalu Prasad Yadav, along with 44 other accused, was convicted on 30 September 2013, by Central Bureau of Investigation court at Ranchi, after being found guilty in fraudulent withdrawal of ₹ 37 crores (₹ 370 million) from Chaibasa treasury.
After the verdict immediately he got arrest. He has given a jail sentence of five years and a fine of 25 Lakh ruppes.
He released on bail from Birsa Munda Central Jail, after he completed the bail formalities in a Special CBI court, two-and-a-half months after he convicted in a fodder scam case.
1996 Fodder Scam – 2nd case of INR 89.27 lakh scammed from Deoghar treasury: conviction in 2017
Lalu convicted on 23 December 2017 and sentenced on 6 January 2018 to 3 and half years imprisonment and INR 1,000,000 fine under the under the Prevention of Corruption Act and the Sections 120B (criminal conspiracy), section 420 (cheating and dishonestly), section 467 (forgery), section 471 (forged record) and section 477A (falsification) of the Indian Penal Code and for the fraudulent withdrawal of INR8,900,000 from the Deoghar district treasury between 1990 and 1994.
1996 Fodder Scam – 3rd case of INR 35.62 crore scammed from Chaibasa treasury: conviction in 2018
This case, pertaining to scamming INR356.2 million scammed from the Chaibasa tresury of West Singhbhum district.
1996 Fodder Scam – 4th case of INR 3.97 crore scammed from Dumka treasury: conviction in 2018
Lalu Prasad was convicted by the special CBI court in the fourth fodder scam case relating to alleged withdrawal of Rs 3.13 crore from the Dumka district treasury over two decades ago. CBI Judge awarded him two separate sentences of seven years each under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Prevention of Corruption Acts.
1996 Fodder Scam – 5th case of INR 184 crore scammed from Doranda treasury: pending in court
At Last, this case, pertaining to the scamming of INR1.84 billion from the Doranda tresary in Ranchi,
is still pending in the Special CBI Court (Jan 2018).
Lalu Prasad Yadav is one of the first noted politicians to lose parliamentary seat due to arrest in fodder scam.
As per Supreme Court decision banning convicted legislators to hold their posts.
Despite several ongoing corruption cases against him, he and his wife Rabri Devi ruled Bihar state for 15 years.
A period during which every economic and social rankings of the state went to lowest level. As compared to other states of India.
During his tenure as Chief Minister, Bihar’s law and order was at lowest, kidnapping was on rise and private armies mushroomed.
Lalu Prasad has written his autobiography named “Gopalganj to Raisina Raod”.
Books published on Lalu
- A writer named Neena Jha has written a book on Lalu Prasad named “Lalu Prasad, India’s miracle.
- Book named Laloo Prasad Yadav: A Charismatic Leader published in 1996.
Movies on Lalu:
- Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav, the Bollywood movie released in 2005. It based on a girl named Padmshree, her Boyfriend Laloo, her Laywer Prasad and Yadav as Lalu Prasad himself as a special appearance.
- In Bhojiwood, two movies made on him as “Mahua” and “Gudri ke Lal”.
Upcoming Movie on Lalu:
- Bhojpuri film Lalten is a biopic based on the life of Lalu Prasad.
For more upcoming Entertainment updates stay tuned to Aware earth – Entertainment.