N T Rama Rao Birthday: Most popularly remembered by the name of NTR. Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao was an Indian actor, director, producer, film editor, and an influential politician. He was born on May 28 in the year 1923 in a small village called Nimmakuru of the Madras Presidency of British India.
N.T. Rama Rao served to be the Chief Minister of the state of Andhra Pradesh for a span of seven years over three subsequent terms. And representing his political party Telugu Desam Party (TDP) which he had formed in the year 1982. He also made his name in cinema and is recognized as one of the greatest actors of all time of Indian cinema even today. His excellent contribution to the Telugu cinema also earned him immense appraisal. He is regarded as one of the two legends of Telugu cinema sharing the title with Akkineni Nageswara Rao.
Some notable rewarded achievements of NTR include in the film industry include:
- He was recipient to the Padma Shri award from the Government of India in the year 1968. Which serves to be the fourth highest civilian honour award of the country as a recognition of his contribution to the Indian cinema.
- NTR received the National Film Award for the best feature film in Telugu for the movie Seetharama Kalyanam in the year 1968. He had not only produced and directed the movie but also acted in the same playing the role of Ravana
- He also received two Rashtrapati Awards, both for best actor in the years 1954 and 1963. One was for his movie Raju Peda where he played the role of Pooligadu and the other for his movie Lava Kusa where he played Lord Rama.
- NTR was recipient to the Nandi Award for the best actor in the year 1970 which he received for the movie Kodalu Diddina Kapuram. He was seen playing the role of Ranga in the movie.
- He also won the Best Telugu actor award at the Filmfare Awards South in the year 1972 for his movie Badi Panthulu. Where he portrayed the character of Head Master Raghava Rao.
- T. Rama Rao had also received an honorary doctorate from Andhra University in the year 1978.
Here are some facts about the late Telugu actor:
- NTR was actually born to farmer parents Venkata Ramamma and Nandamuri Lakshmaih but he was adopted by his paternal uncle.
- In order to supplement the income of his family during the early 1940s. He used to supply milk to the hotels while he was still pursuing his studies in Vijayawada.
- In the first-ever acting experience, NTR had actually played the role of a woman! This was for a play in his college.
- NTR had also learned to dance from the renowned Kuchipudi dancer of the days Vempati Chinna Satyam when he was forty years old. This was to prepare himself for his role in the movie Nartanasala which released in the year 1963.
- He had made his debut in the movie Mana Desam in the year 1949. He had played the role of a British police inspector in the movie.
- He portrayed the roles of Lord Krishna and Lord Rama in different movies and was hence famous for portraying roles of Hindu deities in his early acting career. In fact, he played Lord Krishna in as many as seventeen movies! For the same reason, he was also often referred to as the “messiah of the masses”. He later however assumed the role of the antagonist in several movies.
- He was married two times. His first marriage was to Basavatarakam who died of cancer in the year 1985. He later went on to marry his biographer Lakshmi Parvathi in the year 1993.
- NTR had a long career in acting. He has starred in about a whopping 300 number of films and almost each had a deep impact over the audience.
- Even though he possessed no formal training in the field of scriptwriting, he authored several screenplays for other producers as well as for his own movies.
- While serving as the chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, he strongly advocated for the distinct cultural identity of the state and his aim was to distinguish the state from the erstwhile state of Madras with which it was often associated.
At the age of 72, he breathed his last on January 18 in the year 1996 at the city of Hyderabad. His cause of death was stated to be a heart attack. He will forever be remembered for his undying spirit to achieve excellence in whatever he did. His life and his career in acting and politics have been showcased in the movies N.T.R: Kathanayakudu and N.T.R: Mahanayakudu.
For upcoming birthdays keep visiting Aware earth – Birthday Today.