THE MINORITY DEFINITION
The term minority has now become a part of this country culture in the education and hiring system due to the cumulative efforts of various Govt. institutions. Although being considered a minority, makes you eligible for some special rights. But sometimes these rights are also necessary for those who actually need them. The same goes for the students belonging to various minority religions in our country. The Govt. of India has been announcing Scholarship Program for Minority Students proactively from June 2020.
Out of the country’s total population, the minorities constitute 19.3%, as per the 2011 census. The people who belong to communities such as Sikhs, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, Christians, Parsis or Zoroastrians are generally categorized as minorities.
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS AND THEIR BENEFITS
The Scholarship Program basically engulfs support to the meritorious students belonging to any such minority communities in the society. The program provides information regarding various aspects of applying for a scholarship at different stages of the learning process.
The Govt. of India, has taken the Mission Mode Project under National e-Governance Plan (NeGP). The Govt. has formed the National Scholarship Portal under which all the process of applying for the scholarship for minority communities becomes hassle-free and transparent.
The following are the benefits of the National Scholarship portal :
- All the information for any sort of scholarships is available under one roof.
- Single application form for all sorts of scholarship.
- The system has become smarter as it suggests the best suitable courses as per eligibility.
- Least amount of data redundancy occurs.
Quality & Standards
- Easy scholarship processing for institutions.
- More accurate and detailed data available at hand.
- Each step of application can be effectively evaluated by students as well as the interested institutes and concerned departments.
There exists a 15 point structured Program for the Welfare of Minorities, supported by the Govt. of India. It provides Post-matric Scholarship scheme for the meritorious students from the minority communities. Because the objective of the scheme is to provide scholarship to meritorious students belonging to the economically weaker section of the minority communities. As to provide them with better opportunities for higher education and to increase their rate of attainment in higher studies. This also further increases their chances of employability.
TYPES OF SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS FOR MINORITY STUDENTS
Broadly, there exist three types of Scholarship Schemes offered by the Ministry of Minority Affairs :
Pre-matric Scholarship Scheme
This scholarship scheme aims to encourage parents of the students belonging to minority communities. This scheme will loosen up their financial burden on school education and will inspire to send their young children to school. The scheme will lay ground to the foundation for the attainment in the educational field for young children. The main objective of the scheme is Empowerment through education, carries the potential to improve the overall socio-economic conditions of these minority communities.
- This scholarship caters to the students studying or wanting to study in schools recognized by the Govt. of India, for classes I to X.
- The scholarship is awarded to students securing more than 50% marks in their previous final examinations. And their respective family income is less than Rs. 1.00 Lakh annually.
Post-matric Scholarship Scheme
The post-matric scholarship scheme caters to the need of funds for the students appearing or going to appear for class XI and XII or UG and PG programs. The Scheme being similar to the pre-matric scholarship in the procedure has varied parts of assessment and evaluation for the eligible candidates. The main aim of the scheme is to increase the rate of attainment of higher education in India. And also to increase skilled employability within the nation.
- This scholarship caters to the students studying or wanting to study in secondary school/college/university recognized by the Govt. of India.
- It also covers various technical and vocational courses in Industrial Training Institutes and centres affiliated with National Council for Vocational Training.
- The scholarship is provided to students securing more than 50% marks in their previous final examinations. And their respective family income is less than Rs. 2.00 Lakh annually.
Merit-cum-Means Scholarship Scheme
The main objective of the scholarship scheme is to provide financial support to the meritorious students who are economically weak. As they belong to any minority community, to empower them to pursue any professional and technical training and studies.
- This scholarship caters to study in India in a private or Govt. run institution, selected by the state or UT administration.
- This scholarship is applicable for technical and professional courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level alone.
- The scholarship is awarded to students securing more than 50% marks in their previous final examinations. Also, their respective family income must be less than Rs. 2.50 Lakh annually.
THE MINORITY AND SOCIETY
The process of providing a scholarship to our minority communities which are economically weaker is a necessity of the hour. The govt. aims to create a self-sustained India, who will be the backbone of the world in times to follow. Hence, this information for the betterment of the educational system through transparency and digitization is much needed.
I believe the people in general who are not economically weak and belong to any minority community of the society, must take responsibility. This responsibility caters towards helping others in our community towards approaching these efforts of the Govt. of India. Also to provide them with little infrastructural support or resources to reach to these links and help make a little difference in the society.
“ A nations true values and its rich culture can be clearly seen in the happy smiles and bright minds of their young ones.”
For more Educational news stay tuned to Aware Earth – Education.