It’s been four long years since the last World Trigger anime season. Fortunately, there is good news on the way! World Trigger Season 2 is coming soon. World Trigger is an action, sci-fi anime version of a Japanese manga series with the same name. The creator of the manga series is author and illustrator Daisuke Ashihara.
The beloved TV series rated a 7.5/10. The first season had 48 episodes. It came out in 2014 and ended in Oct 2015. The first episode in October of 2014 was “The Visitor From Strange World.” A year later they aired their last episode entitled “And Towards Tomorrow.”
In comparison, the second season spanned from October 2015 through April 2016. But it only contained 25 episodes. The title of the first episode was “Fugitives From Another World.” Although IMDb lists this as episode 1 of season 2, others call it episode 49. The last episode of season 2 or the 73rd episode was “To The Future.” Because of this, there is no consensus on whether the show considers the 73 episodes one or two seasons.
World Trigger New Season is Coming!
On the weekend of December 20, 2019, thousands of fans attended Jump Fest 2020. The gathering took place at the Makuhari Messe because of its size. Makuhari Messe is Japan’s largest convention center in Chiba, outside of Tokyo. The convention announced that a new season of World Trigger would air in 2020.
As a matter of fact, the author, Daisuke Ashihara, spoke to his cheering fans. He said he was glad he could finish 2019 with an, especially happy topic. In addition to the announcement was a new promotional video. It came out on the Toei Animation Official YouTube Channel. Further, a second promotional video came out in March.
World Trigger’s first 73 episodes aired on Crunchyroll. The World Trigger English dub premiered in early 2017. There is no official broadcast date for the 2020 season. However, the show will run in Japan on TV Asahi.
Also Read: Letterkenny Season 9 | Release Date | Everything You Want to Know
World Trigger Season 2 Cast
In the second season, it is important to know that World Trigger will return with the original main cast of voice actors.
- Tomo Muranaka returns as Yuma Kuga. Tomo is a Japanese voice actress from Ibaraki Prefecture. She is an affiliate of Haikyo.
- Yuki Kaji returns as Osamu Mikumo. Yuki is a Japanese voice actor and singer affiliated with VIMS. In fact, he won the Best Voice Actor Award for two consecutive years. It was in the 7th and 8th Seiyu Awards (2013-2014).
- Nao Tamura is the voice of Chika Amatori. She is a Japanese voice actress from Saitama Prefecture. Formerly represented by the Early Wing Agency, she eventually turned to Haikyo.
- Yuichi Nakamura continues as Yuichi Jin. He’s a Japanese voice actor affiliated with Sigma Seven. What’s more, he did the dubbing roles for Chris Evans in Captain America and Liam Hemsworth in Hunger Games.
- Nobunaga Shimazaki resumes the role of Hyuse. Shimazaki is a Japanese voice actor affiliated with Aoni Production. He won the Best Rookie Actor Award at the 7th Seiyu Awards.
World Trigger Season 2 Studio Production
Studio Toei Animation will produce World Trigger’s second TV anime season. Kenzo Masaoka and Zenjiro Yamamoto founded the studio in 1948. The studio went by the name Japan Animated Films until Toei purchased the company in 1956.
Toei renamed it Toei Doga Co., Ltd. Then in 1998, they changed the name to Toei Animation. Toei Animation utilizes the Ohizumi Studio in Nerima, Tokyo. There is also a Toei Animation in Los Angeles.
The company announces the new team:
- Toei Animation brings on Morio Hatano as director of the project. Hatano directed Dragon Ball Super and Seinto Seiya: Omega.
- Toei Animation chose Hiroyuki Yoshino to create the series composition. The composition consists of drafting the concept, plotting the events, and determining the pacing. Yoshino is a writer and actor from Sigma Seven.
- Toei Animation made a good choice in Toshihisa Kaiya. The artist, director, and animator will do the character design.
- Perhaps an easy choice was Japanese music composer Kenji Kawai. Kawai will arrange the music for the new season. Kawai composes for motion pictures, anime movies, video games, and televised programs. He has experience composing in many different countries.
World Trigger Season 2 Creator
Daisuke Ashihara is the author, illustrator, and creator of the series. At the young age of 26, he entered the 75th Tezuka Awards. The manga he entered, named Room 303, won second place. Then in 2009, Weekly Shonen published his first series, Super Dog Rilienthal. Similarly, Weekly Shonen Jump published his second series, World Trigger. He also authored several shorter works.
World Trigger went off the air after the first 73 episodes. The original creator, Daisuke Ashihara experienced some serious health issues. As a result, the manga writer delayed Season 2. Ashihara had gall bladder removal and suffered intestinal issues and cervical spondylosis. Of course, we hope COVID-19 won’t hamper the planned release.
The Book Series
This manga book series is sometimes called “worry.” It first started in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2013. Then secondly in December of 2018, it progressed to Jump Square. In 2020, the story had 22 volumes.
VIZ Media distributes the English version of the series. In April 2020, the English version constituted 20 Volumes. Volume 21 will circulate in November.
In 2016, Oricon a company that supplies statistics and information disclosed their manga sales data. World Trigger ranked as the 20th best-selling manga with sales of over 1.2 million.
Past Episode plots (Spoiler Alert)
The show contains strategizing, invasions, fighting, and deception. First, the story begins with a portal opening on Earth from another world. Peculiar creatures called “Neighbors” begin to attack Mikado City. Second, “Neighbors” are resistant to the Earth’s weapons and terrorize those near the portal.
As a result, Earth organizes a defense group called “Border.” They protect the planet and develop weapons called Triggers. One of the main characters, Osamu Mikumo, is a Border trainee. Unfortunately, aggressive classmates pull a new student, Yuma Kuga, into a prohibited area. Because of this, the “Neighbors” attack causing Osamu to take action.
Somehow, Yuma Kuga has one of these trigger weapons and says he is from “the world beyond the gate.” Could he be a “Neighbor”?
Stay tuned for more updates as we approach the new series debut!
Also Read: Shield hero season 2: Plot, Cast and more